There is no better ad placement pound for pound in the marketplace today then the Facebook newsfeeds ads. If you not using them and using them well you really are not maximizing your display advertising.
Here is why
1. Targeting – facebook offers high quality 1st party data – yes the stuff people enter, but most likely everything you say, interact with and maybe even more. Not to mention a very good look-alike program, probably the best we have seen. Prospecting and retargeting ads can be run.
2. Less Fraud – Yes there is probably a good percent of fake profiles, but we don’t think they have impression fraud issues like much of the inventory out there.
3. The ad unit – come on – Big Huge photo with ton of text if you need it!!!!!!
4. Placement – I mean smack in the middle of the users life! front and center on the page.
5. Cost – well they are not cheap, but straight standards and they seem to get more expensive everyday. However the ROI is still outstanding.
What not to do.
1. Don’t run junk ads there – target – offer something – don’t offend – don’t be obnoxious.
2. Have the campaign professional managed – the ad interface is wonky, the bidding is a little suspect, the results are not linear. Get a firm that works in Facebook all day long and let them do it. No matter what anyone says this is manual don’t fall for black box pitches or having the intern run it.
Get out there now. The frequencies are very limited so it is not endless inventory and who knows how long it will last and where the CPMs are going.
If facebook is not number 1,2,3 in your online channels (including search) by performance metrics please contact us!